Government Continues Efforts to Bring Equality and Growth to the Middle Class
October 29, 2018 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance Canada
Canada's economy is strong and growing, with more jobs and opportunities for the middle class and people working hard to join it. Making sure every Canadian has a fair chance to benefit from this economic success is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. Canada's future prosperity depends on it.
Today, the Government of Canada took the next step toward ensuring that all Canadians benefit from economic growth. Finance Minister Bill Morneau tabled in the House of Commons the second Budget Implementation Act for Budget 2018, Equality + Growth: A Strong Middle Class.
Through the Act, the Government is moving forward with historic investments that encourage the broader participation of women in the workforce, and help to build an economy that works for everyone. Key measures include a new Employment Insurance Parental Sharing Benefit that would provide additional weeks of parental benefits when parents, including adoptive and same-sex couples, agree to share parental leave. Also included in this Act is pay equity legislation to ensure that women working in federally regulated workplaces receive equal pay for work of equal value, as well as legislation to promote gender budgeting and the establishment of the Department for Women and Gender Equality to promote gender equality for all Canadians.
Today's legislation also includes proposals making it easier for Canadians and their businesses to compete and succeed. The second Budget Implementation Act:
- Allows the Canada Revenue Agency to calculate the Canada Workers Benefit for any tax filer who has not claimed it;
- Simplifies Canada's tariff regime to ease administrative burden and reduce compliance costs for Canadian businesses;
- Provides a deduction for employee contributions to the enhanced portion of the Quebec Pension Plan; and
- Advances the rights and interests of consumers when dealing with their banks.
"With Budget 2018 we are tackling the challenge of equality head-on—and doubling down on our plan to ensure that everyone benefits from economic growth. We are putting people first, and building on the hard work of Canadians—so that our children have better opportunities to follow their dreams, find good jobs, and give back to their communities. This legislation is the next step in making sure that every Canadian has an equal and fair chance at success."
- Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
- Minister Morneau Takes Next Steps to Support Equality and Growth for a Strong Middle Class
- Department of Finance Announcing Climate Action Incentive Payments and Launch of Fuel Charge Consultations
- Government of Canada introduces historic proactive pay equity legislation
- Government of Canada introduces Oceans Protection Plan legislative changes
- Statement by Minister Monsef on the Introduction on Legislation to Create the Department for Women and Gender Equality (WAGE)
- Proposed amendments under Budget Implementation Act to support economic prosperity in First Nation communities
- Changes to Intellectual Property Laws
- Government Recognizes the Valuable Role Charities Play in Building a Strong and Caring Canada
- Government of Canada supports creativity and innovation in a digital economy
- Minister Hajdu welcomes introduction of legislation to support good quality jobs
- Government's Plan to Strengthen and Grow the Middle Class Receives Royal Assent
- Budget Plan
- Budget Speech
- Gender Results Framework
- Fact Sheets
- Backgrounder: Gender Equality and a Strong Middle Class
- Backgrounder: Supporting Researchers to Build a More Innovative Canadian Economy
- Backgrounder: Protecting Canada's Natural Beauty
- Backgrounder: Strengthening the Canada Child Benefit
- Backgrounder: Introducing the Canada Workers Benefit
- Backgrounder: Canada's New Parental Sharing Benefit
- Backgrounder: Pay Equity: Empowering Women for a Strong Middle Class
- Backgrounder: More Jobs, a Growing Economy, and a Stronger Middle Class
- Backgrounder: Tax Fairness for the Middle Class and Opportunity for All Canadians
Media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada