Investing in Canada's National Interest: Minister Morneau Speaks to Calgary Chamber of Commerce
May 30, 2018 – Calgary, Alberta – Department of Finance Canada
Investing to grow the economy, create jobs, strengthen the middle class, and help people working hard to join it—that's the Government of Canada's commitment to Canadians.
Finance Minister Bill Morneau today spoke to business leaders at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce about the Government's plan to secure Canada's economic future—a plan that includes getting Canada's resources to world markets. A key topic of discussion was the Government's recent commercial agreement with Kinder Morgan to secure the timely completion of the Trans Mountain Expansion Project.
By guaranteeing the resumption of work for the summer construction season and ensuring that construction continues through the 2018 season, the Government is protecting thousands of middle class jobs in Alberta and British Columbia, preserving Canada's reputation as a good place to do business, and making a sound investment in Canada's future.
Minister Morneau also discussed the Government's investments in skilled workers, modern infrastructure, global trade and science and innovation, and the Government's efforts to encourage greater workforce participation so that Canada can continue to compete globally and succeed. These investments will deliver long-term growth that works for everyone, while ensuring that Canada remains one of the best places in the world to start, grow, and invest in a business.
"We know that Canada's long-term competitiveness rests on things like giving more people more opportunities to work, making sure Canadians have the right skills and opportunities, and ensuring that we can get our resources to world markets while expanding opportunities through sound global trade deals. The facts show that business confidence and investment is up, and growing faster than it has in five years. Now is the time to build on that success by continuing to invest in the things that will secure Canada's economic success today, and for years to come."
- Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
The Government is investing to help Canadians succeed and securing Canada's economic future with:
- More modern and resilient infrastructure that moves people more efficiently and gets goods to market more quickly and safely.
- Greater investments in people, so that Canadian workers will gain the skills they need to compete for jobs in the new economy, middle class families will have more help with the high cost of raising their kids, and people working hard to join the middle class will have more opportunities to succeed.
- Better support for innovation and science, so that Canadian businesses and workers will be more productive, and better able to compete globally.
- Trade and investment deals that are comprehensive and progressive, so Canadian businesses will have better access to global markets and the billions of customers they represent, and the benefits of growth can be felt by more and more people here at home, and around the world.
- Agreement Reached to Create and Protect Jobs, Build Trans Mountain Expansion Project
- Budget Plan
- Budget Speech
- Fact Sheets
Media may contact:
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada