Minister Morneau Takes Canada's Plan for a Strong Economy and Equal Opportunities to London
March 12, 2018 – London, United Kingdom – Department of Finance Canada
Making sure every Canadian has a real and fair chance at success is not just the right thing to do, it is the smart thing to do. Canada's future prosperity depends on it. With a strong and growing economy in place, now is the right time to make progress in Canada and around the world, where everyone can contribute to, and share in, the country's prosperity.
Today, Finance Minister Bill Morneau spoke with business leaders at an event hosted by the City of London, where he discussed how Canada's 2018 budget helps to promote equality, enable the broader participation of women in the workforce, and build an economy that works for everyone. He highlighted several investments included in the budget, such as:
- Introducing proactive pay equity legislation for federally regulated sectors.
- Introducing a new Employment Insurance Parental Sharing Benefit that will provide up to five additional weeks of Employment Insurance parental benefits when parents—including adoptive and same-sex couples—agree to share parental leave.
- Increasing support for women-led businesses under a new Women Entrepreneurship Strategy for women entrepreneurs.
Minister Morneau also underscored the importance of business leaders around the globe hiring, promoting, and retaining more women in the workforce so that everyone has the opportunity to fully contribute to the economy.
He also emphasized Canada's strong fiscal fundamentals, anchored by a low and consistently declining debt-to-GDP (gross domestic product) ratio, which mean that the Government of Canada has the ability to make the investments that will strengthen and grow the middle class, and lay a more solid foundation for our children's future.
"With a strong and growing Canadian economy in place, now is the time to ensure it truly reflects Canadians in all their diversity, and what kind of country we are. Moreover, now is the time to show the world, once again, what kind of country Canada really is: a land where differences are a source of strength, not a barrier to success. A place where everyone can achieve their dreams, and share their success. A country where everyone can move forward, because no one is held back."
- Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
- Speech: Equality and Growth: For a Strong Global Economy
- Budget Plan
- Budget Speech
- Gender Results Framework
- Fact Sheets
Media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada