Archived - Minister of Finance Announces Appointment to PPP Canada Board of Directors
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
October 15, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today announced the appointment of Sheila O’Brien, CM, to the Board of Directors of PPP Canada.
Ms. O’Brien has been the President of Belvedere 1 Investments Ltd. since April 2004. She is a corporate director and business consultant with over 30 years of experience in the oil and gas, pipeline and petrochemical sectors in Canada, the United States, South America and Europe.
- The Government is committed to supporting investments in public infrastructure projects that contribute to economic growth, create jobs and support long-term prosperity.
- Through the renewed $1.25-billion P3 Canada Fund, the Government continues to support innovative infrastructure projects delivered through a public-private partnership (P3) approach that provides better value for Canadians and develops the Canadian P3 market.
- The P3 Canada Fund is managed by PPP Canada, a Crown corporation responsible for advancing P3s through the provision of expert advice and support to all levels of government.
- PPP Canada’s mandate is to improve the delivery of public infrastructure by achieving better value, timeliness and accountability to taxpayers through P3s.
“I am pleased to name such a distinguished member to the Board of Directors of PPP Canada. Our Government knows that investments in Canada’s public infrastructure create jobs and economic growth, and provide a high quality of life for families in every city and community across the country.”
- Joe Oliver, Minister of Finance
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance
Sheila O’Brien, CM, is the President of Belvedere 1 Investments Ltd. She is a corporate director and business consultant specializing in workforce and leadership capacity, with over 30 years of executive leadership experience in the oil and gas, pipeline and petrochemical sectors in Canada, the United States, South America and Europe.
Ms. O’Brien currently serves on the Board of Directors of Gildan, a publicly traded, vertically integrated apparel manufacturer based in Montréal, and the Board of Directors of the Alberta Energy Regulator. She has previously served on the boards of Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd., a Calgary-based natural gas company; Skye Resources, a nickel mining company with mines in Guatemala; TransForce, Canada’s largest trucking company; and MaRS, a biotechnology accelerator based in Toronto. She is a past member of the Board of Governors of Alberta College of Art + Design in Calgary, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Women’s Foundation in Toronto.
Ms. O’Brien has been active in the not-for-profit sector, having served on more than 25 Boards of Directors dealing primarily with human rights, women’s rights and the need to give a voice to marginalized members of society. In 1998 she was bestowed the honour of the Order of Canada.