Archived - Minister of State (Finance) Engages the Startup Canada Task Force Financial Literacy Committee
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
April 25, 2014 – Toronto, Ontario – Department of Finance
Minister of State (Finance) Kevin Sorenson today took part in an event marking the launch of the Startup Canada Financial Literacy Committee, and then participated in a roundtable discussion with the group on how best to bridge the financial literacy gap for entrepreneurs.
- Launched in May 2012, Startup Canada is a national, grassroots, volunteer-run and entrepreneur-led movement to enhance the nation’s competitiveness and prosperity by uniting and strengthening Canada’s entrepreneurship ecosystem and promoting a vibrant entrepreneurial culture.
- The Startup Canada Financial Literacy Committee will undertake research and activities to:
- better understand the financial literacy gap for entrepreneurs;
- educate government and entrepreneurs about the realities and implications of this gap;
- provide government with its key findings; and
- undertake entrepreneur and private sector-led initiatives to reduce this gap and advance entrepreneur financial literacy in Canada.
"The Government of Canada's Task Force on Financial Literacy highlighted the fact that strengthening financial literacy is a shared responsibility among a wide range of parties, including schools, families, governments, and private sector and voluntary organizations, and that collaboration is vital to achieve greater results. Initiatives like the one we are taking part in today exemplify the kind of partnership that can be built to enhance financial literacy across Canada."
- Kevin Sorenson, Minister of State (Finance)
- Appointment of Canada's First Financial Literacy Leader
- Financial Literacy Initiatives for Seniors
- Harper Government Welcomes Royal Assent of the Financial Literacy Leader Act
- Report of the Task Force on Financial Literacy
- Financial Literacy Leader Act
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance