Minister Morneau in London to Promote Canada's New Investments for Stronger Partnerships
April 7, 2017 – London, United Kingdom – Department of Finance Canada
Canada is open to the world—welcoming new ideas, creative ways of thinking and a diversity of cultures. It's a big part of what makes Canada a great place to invest, grow a business and raise a family. Through Budget 2017, the Government of Canada will continue to strengthen Canada's middle class by deepening its engagement with the world and investing in key partnerships such as the special relationship it has with the United Kingdom.
Canada and the United Kingdom have deep historical ties, bounded by people-to-people connections and a strong global partnership.
Finance Minister Bill Morneau today spoke with U.K. investors at Canada House, where he highlighted the longstanding relationship between Canada and the U.K. and why Canada is a great place to invest and do business.
The Minister spoke about how Budget 2017 will further strengthen Canada's place in the world and give people a real chance at success by equipping them with the skills they need for the good, well-paying jobs in the new, innovative global economy.
"Canada and the United Kingdom enjoy a partnership that is essential to our shared prosperity, and which has long served as a model for the rest of the world. Working together, we can create more opportunities and prosperity for middle class families in both of our countries."
- Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
- The United Kingdom is Canada's most important trade partner in Europe and, from a global perspective, ranks fifth after the United States, China, Mexico and Japan.
- In 2016, total bilateral trade in goods and services reached nearly CDN$40 billion, and over the last five years, the United Kingdom has been Canada's third-largest goods export market.
- The United Kingdom is an important source of direct foreign investment into Canada, ranking fourth among all countries, and Canadian companies invest heavily in the U.K. In 2015, the two-way stock of investment stood at almost CDN$130 billion.
- Speech: Building Confidence in Our Economic Future
- Budget Plan
- Budget Speech
- Fact Sheets
- Budget 2017 in 3 Minutes
Media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada