Minister Morneau Announces New Appointments to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
February 13, 2017 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance Canada
The Government of Canada is committed to an open, transparent and merit-based selection process for Governor in Council appointments that serve Canadians' interests.
In keeping with this commitment, Finance Minister Bill Morneau today announced the appointment of Ms. Ashleigh Everett and Mr. John Montalbano to the Board of Directors of the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB). The appointments are for three years.
"I would like to congratulate Ashleigh Everett and John Montalbano on their appointments to the CPPIB. Their experience will be a valuable asset to the CPPIB as it carries out its important role of investing Canada Pension Plan funds in the best interests of plan members. With this rock solid investment structure as its foundation, the CPP provides a safe, secure and predictable benefit for millions of Canadians."
- Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
- The CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that operates at arm's length from governments to invest the funds of the CPP on behalf of its 19 million Canadian contributors and beneficiaries.
- The CPPIB is acclaimed by international bodies such as the World Bank as a model of an independent, transparent and accountable public pension fund management organization.
- Over the past 10 years, the CPPIB has delivered a 10-year average nominal rate of return of 6.8 per cent on existing CPP assets, which is above the 6.1 per cent nominal rate of return identified by the Chief Actuary to ensure the sustainability of the CPP.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Canada Pension Plan
- Strengthened Canada Pension Plan Will Mean a More Secure Retirement and a Better Quality of Life for Middle Class Canadians
Media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada
Ms. Ashleigh Everett
Ms. Everett is President, Corporate Secretary and Director of Royal Canadian Securities Limited, the holding company of: Royal Canadian Properties Limited, a property development company; Domo Gasoline Corporation, a gasoline retailer in Western Canada; and L'Eau-1 Inc., a water purification company. She serves on the Board of Directors of Manitoba Telecom Services, as Chair of the Governance and Nominating Committee and a member of the Human Resources and Compensation Committee. She previously served on the Board of Directors of The Bank of Nova Scotia, as Chair of the Corporate Governance and Pension Committee, and a member of its Executive and Risk Committee and Human Resources Committee. She is currently a member of the Premier's Enterprise Team for the Province of Manitoba. Ms. Everett has a Bachelor of Arts from Queen's University and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Western Ontario.
Mr. John Montalbano
Mr. Montalbano served as Chief Executive Officer of RBC Global Asset Management from 2008 to 2015, and previously as President of Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management. He serves as Director on a number of corporate boards, including those of Canalyst Financial Modeling Corporation, Wize Monkey Inc., Direct2Artist Technologies Inc. and Eupraxia Pharmaceuticals Inc. He has previously served as Vice Chairman of RBC Wealth Management and as a Director on the corporate boards of BlueBay Asset Management LLP, RBC Global Asset Management Inc., Tologix Software Inc., Sky Investment Counsel Inc. and Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management Ltd. Mr. Montalbano has a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of British Columbia and is a Chartered Financial Analyst.