Minister Morneau Invites Post-Secondary Students to Build a Stronger Canada
November 17, 2016 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance Canada
The insights and talent of today's young Canadians and post-secondary students will be fundamental to strengthening the middle class and positioning Canada for success in the global economy of tomorrow.
To give post-secondary students the chance to showcase their public policy ideas on a national stage and play the role of policy advisor to the federal government, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau today announced the launch of his Post-Secondary Policy Forum. The Forum will offer tomorrow's public policy leaders the opportunity to guide the Government's efforts as it advances its bold plan that puts people first and delivers the help middle class Canadians need to prosper and grow the Canadian economy.
"This is an exciting opportunity for Canadian post-secondary students to engage directly with Department of Finance Canada officials in developing and implementing strong and sustainable economic, fiscal, tax, social, security, international and financial sector policies and programs with the goal of creating a healthy economy for all Canadians.
I urge participants to think big. Be bold. Bring us your ideas. And keep your eyes on the future. I wish participants luck on what promises to be a very rewarding experience, and look forward to hearing from you."
- The Honourable Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
- Working as part of a team that includes one faculty member, participants are requested to submit a written policy proposal addressing one of the many key policy challenges facing Canada today.
- All proposals will be assessed on their potential to provide benefits for inclusive growth in Canada.
- Successful teams will be asked to participate in a second round in which they will present their policy ideas to officials from the Department of Finance Canada via video link.
- The winning team will be invited to Ottawa to attend events related to Budget Day 2017.
- Budget 2017 Consultations
- Fall Economic Statement 2016
- Minister Morneau Updates Plan for Middle Class Progress
Media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance Canada