Archived - Release of The Fiscal Monitor for December 2014
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The Department of Finance reports a budgetary surplus of $2.4 billion in December 2014; the Government remains on track to balance the budget in 2015
February 27, 2015 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today released The Fiscal Monitor for December 2014.
There was a budgetary surplus of $2.4 billion in December 2014, compared with a surplus of $1.2 billion in December 2013. The transfer of General Motors common shares to Ontario raised the budgetary surplus by $0.9 billion.
Revenues increased by $1.0 billion, or 4.3 per cent, as increases in corporate income tax revenues and other revenues were partially offset by a decrease in personal income tax revenues. Program expenses decreased by $0.2 billion, or 1.2 per cent, largely reflecting a decrease in direct program expenses, offset in part by an increase in major transfers to other levels of government. Public debt charges increased by $32 million, or 1.5 per cent.
- For the April to December 2014 period of the 2014–15 fiscal year, the Government posted a budgetary deficit of $0.9 billion, compared with a deficit of $12.2 billion reported in the same period of 2013–14.
- During the same period, revenues were up $7.3 billion, or 3.8 per cent, reflecting increases in all revenue sources.
- Program expenses were down $3.5 billion, or 1.9 per cent, reflecting a decrease in direct program expenses, offset in part by increases in major transfers to persons and other levels of government.
- Public debt charges were down $0.4 billion, or 2.1 per cent, largely reflecting a lower average effective interest rate on bonds.
- The Fiscal Monitor
- Future Release Dates of The Fiscal Monitor
- Update of Economic and Fiscal Projections
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance