Archived - Department of Finance Releases Annual Tax Expenditures and Evaluations Report
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
February 24, 2015 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
The Department of Finance today released the 2014 Tax Expenditures and Evaluations report.
This report provides estimates and projections of the revenue impacts of federal tax measures designed to ensure the proper functioning of the federal tax system and support the economic and social priorities of the Government of Canada.
This year’s report includes two analytical papers. One is an evaluation of the Charitable Donation Tax Credit, which, in 2012, was claimed by more than 5.7 million Canadians in respect of donations worth $8.6 billion. The other paper is a study of interprovincial tax planning by Canadian corporations.
The release of today’s report coincides with the tabling of the Main Estimates in the House of Commons by the President of the Treasury Board.
- The Government first reported on federal tax expenditures in December 1979, and has published estimates and projections of tax expenditures for personal and corporate income taxes as well as for the Goods and Services Tax since 1994.
- The Tax Expenditures and Evaluations report is published annually by the Government and, along with its companion document Tax Expenditures: Notes to the Estimates/Projections, provides valuable information to the public on the objectives, design and cost of federal tax expenditures.
- International organizations have recognized the quality of Canada’s reporting on tax expenditures, notably with respect to the number of tax measures and years for which cost information is presented, the detailed methodological information that is provided, and the publication of evaluations and analytical papers.
- Tax Expenditures and Evaluations 2014
- Tax Expenditures: Notes to the Estimates/Projections (2010 edition)
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance