Archived - Release of The Fiscal Monitor
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The Department of Finance reports a budgetary surplus of $0.4 billion in September 2014; the Government remains on track to balance the budget in 2015
November 28, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today released The Fiscal Monitor for September 2014.
There was a budgetary surplus of $0.4 billion in September 2014, compared with a deficit of $3.8 billion in September 2013.
Revenues increased by $1.1 billion, or 5.4 per cent, primarily reflecting increased personal and corporate income tax revenues. Program expenses decreased by $2.9 billion, or 12.8 per cent, due largely to a decrease in direct program expenses, reflecting the recording in September 2013 of a liability for disaster assistance related to the 2013 flood in Alberta. Public debt charges decreased by $0.1 billion, or 5.4 per cent.
- For the April to September 2014 period of the 2014–15 fiscal year, the Government posted a budgetary deficit of $0.7 billion, compared with a deficit of $10.3 billion reported in the same period of 2013–14.
- These results are in line with this month’s Update of Economic and Fiscal Projections, and show that the Government’s low-tax plan to support jobs and growth and its track record of sound fiscal management put it on track to return to balanced budgets in 2015.
- Revenues were up $5.5 billion, or 4.4 per cent, reflecting increased personal and corporate income tax revenues.
- Program expenses were down $3.8 billion, or 3.2 per cent, reflecting a decrease in direct program expenses, offset in part by increases in major transfers to persons and other levels of government.
- Public debt charges were down $0.3 billion, or 1.8 per cent.
- The Fiscal Monitor
- Future Release Dates of The Fiscal Monitor
- Update of Economic and Fiscal Projections
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance