Archived - My financial literacy selfie #FLM2014Contest
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
October 17, 2014 – Ottawa, ON – Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
For Financial Literacy Month in November, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) invites Canadians to take part in activities that will help increase their financial know-how. FCAC is running a photo contest called “My financial literacy selfie” to raise awareness about financial literacy for Canadians. This contest aims to engage youth and Canadians of all ages to explore ways they can enhance their financial skills so that they can make the best financial decisions for them and their families.
To participate, contestants have to submit a selfie showing how they put their financial skills to use or how they help educate others about financial literacy. Eligible photos will be posted on the Financial Literacy Month Facebook page.
A panel selected by FCAC will judge the photos on originality, quality and adherence to the theme. Three prizes will be awarded: a Macbook Pro (first place), a Mac Mini (second place) and an iPod Touch (third place). The photo that gets the most “Likes” on the FLM Facebook page will receive the “People’s Choice” award, a $50 iTunes gift card. Participants have until November 19 at 11:59 p.m. EST to submit their photos. The winners will be announced at the end of Financial Literacy Month.
The selfie contest is one of many events taking place in Canada during Financial Literacy Month. A Calendar of events with information on financial education activities being held across the country in November is available on FCAC’s website.
- November is Financial Literacy Month in Canada. It is the ideal opportunity for all Canadians to enhance their financial knowledge.
- Created in 2011, this is the fourth annual Financial Literacy Month. Last year, more than 90 public, private and non-profit organizations held some 400 workshops, conferences and other educational activities during FLM to help Canadians improve their financial skills.
- In order to have their activities included on the Financial Literacy Month Calendar of events, organizations must submit their information online using the input tool.
- Financial Literacy Month is led by FCAC and its new Financial Literacy Leader, Jane Rooney. FCAC was created in 2001 to protect and inform financial consumers. Jane Rooney was appointed the first Financial Literacy Leader in April 2014.
“Knowing that financial literacy contributes to a robust economy as a whole, our government is committed to helping Canadians improve their financial skills, and Financial Literacy Month is the perfect time to do so. I encourage all Canadians to take full advantage of the various financial education activities organized across the country in November.”
- Kevin Sorenson, Minister of State (Finance)
“Through this photo contest, I hope Canadians demonstrate and realize that financial literacy is already part of their daily lives, that it’s a skill they likely already have and that it’s up to them to strengthen it. Perhaps they will find personal finances a little less daunting, which will motivate them to learn more. A number of tools, programs and resources are available to help Canadians improve their financial literacy skills, and Financial Literacy Month is the perfect time to discover them.”
- Jane Rooney, Canada’s Financial Literacy Leader
- Take part in the selfie contest
- Calendar of events
- Financial Literacy Month 2014
- Financial Literacy Leader
- Financial Literacy Month 2013 video contest
Media Relations Officer
Financial Consumer Agency of Canada