Archived - Minister of Finance Consults Distinguished Experts About Canada’s Economic Challenges and Opportunities
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Canada remains on track to balance the budget in 2015
August 12, 2014 – Wakefield, Quebec – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today welcomed a group of distinguished Canadian business leaders, academics and other experts to his first annual summer policy retreat. Participants will discuss the state of the Canadian economy – our successes, challenges, and opportunities. Minister Oliver is joined by Minister of State (Finance) Kevin Sorenson and Parliamentary Secretary Andrew Saxton.
In his opening remarks, Minister Oliver noted that Canada has become an international economic success story under the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Minister Oliver reiterated the Government’s top priority, one shared by all Canadians: creating jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity.
- The Minister of Finance has traditionally held an annual summer policy retreat. The retreat has been held in Wakefield, Quebec, for the past several years with a range of experts over a variety of themes that have informed policymaking.
- Canada has created more than one million net new jobs since the height of the recession – one of the strongest job creation records in the G-7.
- Canada has the lowest net debt-to-GDP ratio in the G-7 – with AAA credit ratings and a stable outlook from all the major credit agencies.
“Our Government is taking action to create jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity – and it is working. By lowering taxes and balancing the budget, we are transforming Canada into an economic success story. But we cannot be complacent. We still face challenges, at home and abroad. I welcome experts’ views on how our Government can make Canada the best place in the world to invest, start a business, and create jobs.”
- Joe Oliver, Minister of Finance
“When keeping our economy on track and helping Canadians prepare for retirement, consultations with experts are paramount. Input received today will help shape the next budget as we work to tackle the challenges ahead and maximize the opportunities for economic growth from coast to coast to coast.”
- Kevin Sorenson, Minister of State (Finance)
- Economic Action Plan 2014
- Minister Oliver Announces his Economic Advisory Council
- Minister Oliver Meets With Private Sector Economists to Discuss Canada’s Economy
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Office of the Minister of State (Finance)
Department of Finance