Archived - Government of Canada and Province of Saskatchewan Announce P3 Funding to Support the North Commuter Parkway and Traffic Bridge Replacement Project
June 9, 2014 – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – Department of Finance
On behalf of Finance Minister Joe Oliver, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food and Member of Parliament for Battlefords–Lloydminster Gerry Ritz today announced the Government of Canada will help fund the North Commuter Parkway and Traffic Bridge Replacement project in Saskatoon.
Through the P3 Canada Fund the federal government will provide an investment of up to $66 million to the project while the Province of Saskatchewan will contribute $50 million. The Minister was joined at the event by Brad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan, and Donald J. Atchison, Mayor of Saskatoon.
The project involves the replacement of the 107-year-old Traffic Bridge in the City’s downtown core, the development of a new bridge crossing in the City’s north end, as well as connecting roadways. Once the Parkway and the two bridges are opened traffic congestion will be reduced and travel times will be shorter for vehicles and public transit, resulting in reduced greenhouse gas emissions and improved air quality.
- This will be the fourth P3 Canada Fund project in the Province of Saskatchewan.
- A Request for Qualifications will be issued in the coming weeks by the City of Saskatoon to identify private sector proponent teams interested in bidding on the project. The contractor, once selected, will design, build, finance, operate and maintain the project over a 30-year period.
- Construction of the Parkway and traffic bridge is anticipated to take three construction seasons, and the P3 model is expected to deliver the project on time and on budget.
- The $1.2-billion P3 Canada Fund is managed by PPP Canada, a Crown corporation responsible for advancing Canadian P3s through the provision of expert advice and support to all levels of government.
“Our Government recognizes the advantages P3s can provide to build public infrastructure for better value while creating jobs and growth. The North Commuter Parkway and Traffic Bridge Replacement project is a great example of how our Government is working with the City of Saskatoon and the private sector to reduce procurement and overhead costs to the benefit of all taxpayers in Saskatchewan.”
- Gerry Ritz, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Our government is pleased to work with the City of Saskatoon and the Government of Canada on an innovative project that demonstrates the value of P3 partnerships. Saskatoon is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada and the North Commuter Parkway Bridge will help sustain that growth by connecting residential neighbourhoods to the expanding industrial area in the City’s north end.”
- Brad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan
”Our continuing strong partnership with the federal government and provincial government is once again benefitting the people of Saskatoon. This bundled bridge project is the first of its kind in Canada. It will shorten commutes, cut fuel costs, grow the economy and improve our quality of life. It fits perfectly with the City’s strategic goals, and supports our Growing Forward! Shaping Saskatoon planning initiative.”
- Donald J. Atchison, Mayor of Saskatoon
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance
Government of Saskatchewan
Chief Communications Officer
Office of the Mayor
City of Saskatoon
PPP Canada Media Inquiries