Archived - Minister Oliver Meets With Quebec Finance Minister Carlos Leitão
First meeting focuses on expanding opportunities for jobs and growth
May 20, 2014 – Québec City, Quebec – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today met with Quebec Finance Minister Carlos Leitão in Québec City. The Ministers discussed the state of the Canadian and Quebec economies and ways to achieve their shared objective of creating jobs and economic growth, as well as a commitment to balanced budgets.
- The Canadian economy has enjoyed one of the strongest employment performances of the Group of Seven (G-7), with more than 1.6 million new jobs created since 2006.
- Major federal transfers to Quebec to support health and social services will total $19.6 billion in 2014–15, representing an increase of $7.6 billion, or 64%, since 2005–06.
- Quebec has been allocated $1.77 billion under the new Building Canada Fund, and $2.4 billion in federal funding will flow to Quebec municipalities from 2014 to 2019 through the Gas Tax Fund.
- The federal government has announced funding of $165 million over the next two years for a new bridge over the St. Lawrence River and $378 million for the repair and maintenance of federal bridges in the Greater Montréal Area.
- The Government of Canada has introduced close to 180 tax relief measures since 2006. For an average family of four, taxes have been cut by close to $3,400, and more than 1 million Canadians have been removed from the tax rolls.
“From our meeting, it is clear that our two governments are focused on the priorities that matter to Quebecers and all Canadians: creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. I look forward to working with Minister Leitão to achieve a prosperous Quebec, thriving as a dynamic partner in Canada—the greatest country in the world.”
- Joe Oliver, Minister of Finance
“My meeting today with the federal Minister of Finance was indeed positive. Our discussions bode well for a new spirit of collaboration between our two governments, which share common objectives, especially in the realm of economic development. Finance Minister Oliver has indicated his confidence in our government and the importance that he attaches to Quebec.”
- Carlos Leitão, Quebec Minister of Finance
- Economic Action Plan 2014
- Transfer Payments to Provinces and Territories for 2014-15
- Infrastructure Canada—Infrastructure in Quebec
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance