Ottawa, June 8, 2011
Archived - Minister of Finance Tables Notice of Ways and Means Motion Relating to Budget 2011
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
- Notice of Ways and Means Motion to implement certain provisions of the 2011 budget, as updated on June 6, 2011 and Explanatory Notes Relating to the Income Tax Act, the Excise Act, 2001 and the Excise Tax Act
The Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance, today tabled in the House of Commons a detailed Notice of Ways and Means Motion to implement certain provisions of Budget 2011, as updated on June 6, 2011. The Notice also includes provisions referenced in Budget 2011 to implement certain previously announced tax measures.
The Notice of Ways and Means Motion includes tax measures that:
- allow beneficiaries of Registered Disability Savings Plans who have shortened life expectancies to withdraw more of their plan savings by permitting annual withdrawals without triggering the 10-year repayment rule, subject to specified limits and certain conditions;
- ensure that individuals have the legal authority in all circumstances to appeal a determination concerning their eligibility for the Disability Tax Credit;
- introduce a 100-per-cent rebate of the Goods and Services Tax and the Harmonized Sales Tax paid by the Royal Canadian Legion on acquisitions of Remembrance Day poppies and wreaths; and
- allow the sharing of information obtained under the Excise Act, 2001 and the Excise Tax Act with countries or jurisdictions with which Canada has entered into a tax information exchange agreement.
More details on these measures can be found in the attached Notice of Ways and Means Motion and detailed explanatory notes.
Further information on Budget 2011 is available at www.actionplan.gc.ca.
For further information, media may contact:
Mary Ann Dewey-Plante
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance
To receive e-mail notification of all news releases, please register.