Release at 8:15 a.m. EDT
Ottawa, May 4, 2005
Archived - Official International Reserves
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The Department of Finance announced today that Canada's official international reserves decreased by an amount equivalent to US$649 million during April to US$35,601 million.
Details on the level and composition of Canada's reserves as of April 30, 2005, as well as the major factors underlying the change in reserves, are provided below. All figures are in millions of US dollars unless otherwise noted.
|Foreign Currency Reserves|
|Total securities and deposits (liquid reserves)||31,462|
|Special drawing rights (SDRs)||916|
|Reserve position in the IMF||3,176|
|Total:||April 30, 2005||35,601|
|March 31, 2005||36,250|
|Details on Deposits|
|Other central banks/Bank for International Settlements||561|
|Banks headquartered in Canada||0|
|Of which: located abroad||0|
|Banks headquartered abroad||1,504|
|Of which: located in Canada||0||_____|
|Details of Net Change|
|Reserves management operations2||-792|
|Gains and losses on gold sales||0|
|Net investment gains and losses|
|Return on investments3||288|
|Foreign currency debt charges||-77|
|Net government operations5||0|
|Currency Composition of Deposits and Securities|
|Predetermined Short-Term Drains on Foreign Currency Reserves (Nominal Value)6|
|Foreign currency securities7||Principal||-668||-2,761||-4,119||-7,548|
|Aggregate short forward positions in foreign currencies vis-à-vis Canadian dollar||0||0||0||0|
|Aggregate long forward positions in foreign currencies vis-à-vis Canadian dollar||0||0||0||0|
|Total net drains||-964||-2,940||-4,876||-8,780|
|Additional Information (Nominal Value)|
|Undrawn, unconditional credit lines with
banks headquartered outside Canada
|Securities lent under repurchase agreements8||-2,801|
|Securities held under repurchase agreements9||204|
|Financial derivatives assets (net, marked to market)|
1. There were no sales of gold settled in April. On April 30, gold holdings stood at 0.1 million ounces. The valuation is based on the April 29, 2005, London p.m. fix of US$435.70 per ounce.2. Net change in securities and deposits resulting from foreign currency funding activities of the Government. (Issuance of foreign currency liabilities used to acquire assets increases reserves, while maturities decrease reserves). During April, Canada bills decreased by US$1,042 million to a level of outstanding bills of US$2,151 million. Cross-currency swaps of domestic obligations raised US$250 million.
3. "Return on investments" comprises US$85 million of interest earned on investments and a US$203-million increase in the market value of securities resulting from changes in interest rates.
4. "Revaluation effects" reflect changes in the market value of reserve assets resulting from movements in exchange rates. In April, the decline in the revaluation effect was due to the depreciation of the euro.
5. "Net government operations" are the net purchases of foreign currency for government foreign exchange requirements and for additions to reserves.
6. Predetermined short-term drains include the Government's contractual obligations in foreign currencies related to payments of principal and interest associated with securities and commitments under swaps and forward contracts coming due during the next 12 months.
7. "Foreign currency securities" include maturities of foreign currency debt, cross-currency swap payments and an estimate of interest payments on foreign currency liabilities.
8. "Securities lent under repurchase agreements" are included in total reserves. Collateral provided in securities-lending transactions is not included in total reserves.
9. Cash invested under repurchase agreements is included in total reserves. Collateral provided in securities-lending transactions is not included in total reserves.
Future Release Dates
The next release is June 3, 2005 (covering the period May 2005).
A list of upcoming release dates is posted on the Department of Finance website located at: www.fin.gc.ca/invest_x/releaseDates_e.asp
For further information:
Financial Markets Division
Public Affairs and Operations Division
For further information on the Exchange Fund Account, please consult the 2003 Report on the Management of Canada's Official International Reserves, located at http://www.fin.gc.ca/toc/2004/oir04_-eng.asp.
If you would like to receive automatic e-mail notification of all news releases, please visit the Department of Finance Canada website at http://www.fin.gc.ca/scripts/register-eng.asp
Official International Reserves(10-Year Synopsis)
|US dollars||Other currencies||Gold||SDRs||IMF position||Total|
|(millions of US dollars)|
|April 30, 2005||16,419||15,043||47||916||3,176||35,601|
|March 31, 2005||17,080||15,043||47||916||3,164||36,250|
|February 28, 2005||15,947||15,434||47||925||3,208||35,561|
|January 31, 2005||15,138||15,246||46||905||3,255||34,590|
|December 31, 2004||14,427||15,740||48||925||3,327||34,467|
|November 30, 2004||14,113||15,663||49||912||3,334||34,071|
|October 31, 2004||17,271||15,001||46||880||3,262||36,460|
|September 30, 2004||17,527||14,633||45||862||3,198||36,265|
|August 31, 2004||17,022||14,623||44||857||3,345||35,891|
|July 31, 2004||16,747||14,299||43||845||3,267||35,201|
|June 30, 2004||16,646||14,545||43||849||3,335||35,418|
|May 31, 2004||16,358||15,315||43||851||3,411||35,978|
|April 30, 2004||15,712||15,112||42||832||3,415||35,113|
|Dec. 31, 2003||15,576||15,961||45||838||3,848||36,268|
|Dec. 31, 2002||17,946||14,739||205||712||3,567||37,169|
|Dec. 31, 2001||19,748||10,736||291||614||2,859||34,248|
|Dec. 31, 2000||21,692||7,327||323||574||2,508||32,424|
|Dec. 31, 1999||18,838||5,594||524||526||3,164||28,646|
|Dec. 31, 1998||15,907||4,004||122||1,097||2,297||23,427|
|Dec. 31, 1997||14,630||492||146||1,126||1,575||17,969|
|Dec. 31, 1996||17,521||507||155||1,168||1,227||20,578|
|Dec. 31, 1995||12,127||502||178||1,177||1,243||15,227|
|Dec. 31, 1994||9,693||526||199||1,148||910||12,475|